8:30 am Coffee & Registration
9:30 am Chair’s Opening Remarks
From Tactical to Strategic Procurement in R&D
9:45 am Opening Address: It’s Maturing – R&D Procurement to Support Scientific Innovations
- Unique on its own – why R&D procurement is different from other procurement practice
- Transformation and maturing status – what did it take?
- Proven results: from spend optimization to speed to market – value adding service delivered by the R&D procurement team
10:15 am What Is Your Strategy?
- James Tornos Global R&D Procurement Director, Pfizer
- Examining the factors that influence sourcing and category strategies
- Nurturing your supplier relationship and exploring novel partnership-reward model
- How to cope with change
10:45 am Speed Networking & Morning Coffee
12:00 pm Debate: Who Do You Need to Get On Board?
- Karan Paruvangada Strategic Sourcing Leader, Bill & Melinda Gates Medical Research Institute
- Peter McGree Director of R&D Procurement, Gilead
- Pat Magnafichi Director of Procurement, EXELIXIS
Procurement has multiple internal customers to serve, and securing partners’ trusts and executive sponsorship are crucial to success.
Audience will have the opportunities to debate and ask for speakers’ best tips in how they navigate to form strategic steering committee prior to a ‘change’.
12:45 pm Lunch & Networking Break
Opportunities & Tech Enablement in R&D Sourcing
1:45 pm AI – It’s Happening in R&D and Procurement!
- It’s no longer a buzz words – be an intelligent partner to support spend decisions, as well as R&D programs
- Lessons learned in implementation
Session reserved for Program Partner
2:15 pm Optimization & Alignment of R&D Strategy and Procurement to Drive Productivity
- Mark Peymer Head & Associate Director, Global R&D Alliance Management, Johnson & Johnson
- Realigning cross-functional teams to support R&D activities
- How to transform your BPO to enable productivity improvement and reduce spend?
- End-to-end lifecycle operational support and liaison between procurement and other functional teams to drive performance metrics
2:45 pm Painting the Big Picture – Total Spend vs. Supplier Management
- James Murphy Procurement Manager, bluebird bio
- Strategic sourcing can play a central role in organizational growth
- What does your data tell you about your supplier base and purchasing pattern?
- Establishing electronic catalogues for your scientists to drive efficiency
- Supplier management: uniquely important to R&D strategic sourcing
3:15 pm Reflections & Actions
- Chris Gross Director, Global Laboratory Supplies & Equipment Procurement , Merck & Co., Inc.
Based on the sessions this morning, audience will have the opportunity to reflect and discuss on actionable points in a round-table format. Delegates will be able to choose one of the following track to exchange ideas.
The goal is to share one key takeaway at the end of the discussion.
Group 1: Innovations in technologies to help procurement & sourcing
Group 2: What are the key objectives procurement should bring to customers?
Group 3: How should you manage data and compliance? Challenges with GDPR
4:00 pm Afternoon Tea & Networking Break
4:30 pm IoT and the Future of Digital Science
- Richard Milne Vice President & General Manager, Digital Science, Thermo Fisher Scientific
- Digital transformation in the scientific space
- The value of connectivity
- The digital ecosystem of science
- Current state: connected lab capabilities
- Future state: enabling a fully connected lab
5:00 pm Case Study: Smart Guided Buying Adoption in Early R&D
- Robert Fitzmaurice Senior Sourcing Manager, Regeneron
- It’s not new – but it can transform your drug discovery and pre-clinical activities
- From time reduction to vendor vetting
- Content creation and enhanced ‘shopping’ experience for scientists for an easier adoption
- Regeneron’s experience and journey so far