Conference Day One
Monday, April 30 2018
08:30 Coffee & Registration
09:30 Chair’s Opening Remarks
R&D Procurement Evolution
09:40 Opening Address: The Ultimate Objectives of R&D Procurement – It’s Not Cost, Speed & Quality!
- Eric Shobe VP Global Procurement, Worldwide Research & Development (WRD) & Medical, Pfizer
- Understanding the current challenges of R&D within pharma
- Aligning procurement’s approach to help R&D overcome those challenges
- Managing the paradox between compliance, financial targets and R&D’s goals
- Why R&D Procurement is key to the future of pharma
10:10 Is R&D Procurement a Privilege to Big Pharma?
- Juan Lepe Director of Procurement R&D &Technology Category Lead, Alnylam Pharmaceuticals
- Decrypting the myth of R&D Procurement is a privilege to large organizations
- The rise of virtual biotechs and virtual R&D operations, the increased need of having a dedicated expert to manage R&D suppliers and activities
- Focus on opportunities – how can you maximize value to your scientific team?
10:40 Speed Networking & Morning Coffee
Rebuild Your Sourcing & Procurement Strategy
12:00 EDC Case Study
- Rinaldo Dorman Clinical & Medical Category Lead, R&D Procurement, Shire
- Driving value in the form of operational efficiency
- Using this to improve partnerships
12:30 Panel Discussion: What Innovations Do R&D Procurement Business Model Need
- Limor Glick Director of Strategic Sourcing – R&D & Clinical Outsourcing, Sunovion
- Mike Sandoval President & CEO, XEO Pharma
- Raymond Alsko Director Sales & Key Accounts North America, Wavelength Pharmaceuticals
Based on the first two sessions, you can ask the speakers and wider group on their vision for the future and build a clear idea of how you need to adapt your R&D Procurement function to get ready for the transformation!
13:00 Lunch & Networking Break
14:00 Insourcing or Outsourcing – That’s Your Question
- Firelli Alonso Senior Director, External Supply , Pfizer
- The big debate – in- or outsource?
- Case example of comparing and contrasting decision rationale: ADC
- Building a relationship with your suppliers to minimize risks
14:30 How Pharma can Use Technology to Remain Competitive – When Everyone is Rushing to Biotech
- Elizabeth Iorns Founder, President & CEO, Science Exchange
- Roberto Vaccaro Director, R&D Strategic Sourcing, Amgen
- Speakers will discuss the challenges the pharma industry is facing with regard to declining R&D productivity and present new technology solutions that would help address this.
- Learn how Science Exchange can help procurement teams achieve over 56% direct cost savings per statement of work
- Case study of significant increase of scientists’ productivity
- The key to remain innovative in the biotech industry – improved scientific innovation by having greater and more efficient access to cutting-edge technologies
15:00 Driving Transformative Change in Pre-Clinical Support Inputs to Deliver an Efficient R&D Program
- Gerard Cardillo Executive Director, Global Categories Procurement, Charles River Labs
- Key drivers and inputs for pre-clinical category management
- Defining vision and translating our strategy for an end-to-end category management
- Transition from tactical buying to forging strategic partnerships – setting the right framework and overcoming challenges
15:30 Reflections & Actions
Based on the sessions this morning, audience will have the opportunity to reflect and discuss on actionable points in a round-table format.
Delegates will be able to choose one of the following tracks to exchange ideas. The goal is to share one key takeaway at the end of the discussion.
- How should the future R&D Procurement organizational chart look like?
- Supplier diversity – what’s the best practice?
- How should you ‘manage’ your suppliers? Explore a new partnership model from early discovery through clinical trial Ph3
Joined by speakers of the day
16:30 Afternoon Tea & Networking Break
17:00 What Does Strategic Sourcing Mean to You and Your R&D Program? Biogen’s Success Story
- Umar Salahuddin Director, R&D Sourcing, Biogen
- How streamlined sourcing can provide additional value to the scientific teams?
- The trend of strategic sourcing to category management
17:30 The Big Dollar Sign: Manage Your Tail Spend
- It’s all about incremental savings – turn your tail spend into operational advantage
- Gaining visibility of your in- and out-goings: Increase spend under management
- From data to actions: Identify strategies to tackle spend at a category or supplier level
- From actions to strategy: Redefine your category and sourcing tactics
Session reserved for tech partner
18:00 Chair’s Closing Remarks & Close of Day One
18:30 Private Networking Dinner
Hosted by our Lead Partner, Science Exchange – by invitation only